My Devotion to St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina


        Have you heard in the news the coming of incorrupt heart relic of St. Padre Pio in the Philippines? Yes, you’re right. The news is all over the country and devotees are dying to see that heart. Philippines is one lucky country whom it will visits. 

         I was a bit tired and sleepy while doing this blog entry since I just came home from Sto. Tomas, Batangas. It was an early morning of Sunday when we went to the National Shrine of St. Padre Pio to see the heart of the saint. I guess most of you are aware because there were many, many devotees visiting the shrine since October 6, 2018. But, I know that most of you doesn’t know who is really St. Padre Pio and why are most of the sick people and married couples are dying to visit his scared places. 

Here’s the story:
St. Padre Pio was born in the name of Francesco Forgione on May 25, 1887 at Pietrelcina, Benevento, Italy but when he joined the Order of the Friars Minor Capuchin he was given the name of Pius (in Italy, Pio). He died September 23, 1968 (aged 81) at San Giovanni Rotondo, Foggia, Italy. He was an OFM Capuchin Friar. He was beatified on May 2, 1999 at St. Peter’s Square, Vatican City by Pope Saint John Paul II and canonized on June 16, 2002. He was a friar, priest, stigmatist, mystic and now venerated as a saint of the Catholic Church. Padre Pio became famous for exhibiting stigmata for most of his life. Stigmata is a term used in Christian Mysticism to describe the manifestations of bodily wounds, scars and pain corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus Christ. This is why Padre Pio was called Stigmatist or Stigmatic because he has the same wound as Jesus Christ have as well as St. Francis of Assisi. 

            However, before this happens, I got to visit the first pilgrimage site of St. Padre Pio here in Batangas. It’s not actually a pilgrimage but a retreat house for spiritual reflection. I didn’t know that it was headed by the Capuchin Friars who was St. Padre Pio belongs. I just realized it lately. I’m so happy and lucky to experience a time inside that retreat house. I also got a picture took inside the retreat house with my family unfortunately, I don't know where to find our picture there. 

*** Photo from Flickr

For more info about Capuchin Retreat Center, here's a link:

            I went first to St. Padre Pio Shrine when it was still not a national shrine somewhere in December, 2014. We had our first sacred mass there and we took some photos for memories and to enjoy the place for the first time. 




















            Once or twice in a year, we were trying to visit the place just to reflect, thank him for the blessings and to heal us from our sickness. I remember, I used this place also for my feasibility when I was in college. I am so happy when I heard the news that this shrine will turn into one of the pilgrimage sites in the Philippines. I was so honored that it landed here in my province.






           The National Shrine and Parish of St. Padre Pio is a parish church and pilgrimage site situated at Brgy. San Pedro, Sto. Tomas, Batangas, Philippines. It began as a small chapel along Maharlika Highway in San Pedro and was under the care of Parish of St. Thomas Aquinas in Sto. Tomas. The first of his first-class relics was entrusted to the proposed parish by Rev. Fr. Cesar Acuin, OFMCap months after the canonization of St. Padre Pio in 2002. Due to the growing number of devotees, a 1.6-hectare agricultural land was donated to Archdiocese of Lipa by generous people, Ernesto and Adelaida Gonzaga where a new and larger church was built. However, Dr. Villegas donated a 200-m parcel of land for a right of way from the barangay road leading to the site. Groundbreaking took place in 2006. On September 23, 2013, the feast day of St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina was dedicated to God by his Eminence Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, D.D. present at the dedication was Rev. Fr. Ermelindo di Capua, OFMCap, the only Italian Capuchin priest who worked closely with and took care of St. Padre Pio for 3 years (d. February 22, 2017). He also entrusted two first-class relics of the Saint to the National Shrine in 2010.




*** Photo from Sto. Tomas website

For more info about National Shrine of St. Padre Pio, here's a link:
                It was September 14, 2015 when the Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Padre Pio turned into National Shrine led by the President of Catholic Bishop’s Conference of the Philippines and Archbishop of Lingayen-Pangasinan, Most Rev. F. Socrates Villegas. In addition to that, the 4th World Apostolic Congress on Mercy in the Philippines attended by thousands of participants and pilgrims all over the country and other parts of the world held its third day at the National Shrine last January 18, 2017.

*** Credits to the rightful owner

            So, why am I blogging this? This is because I was one of the thousands and thousands of devotees of St. Padre Pio all over the world. I met him as early as 16 years old but I didn’t imagine that this could be one reason why I met him in the past. I started out reaching for him when my father and I was diagnosed with a disease, 3 years ago. There were sayings that Padre Pio could heal people from sickness. He could be a great way to God for our prayers and that’s when I reached him up without any hesitations. That time, I am still having heart palpitations and difficult in breathing. As per the advised of our school doctor, they found that I have a heart murmur. So, she sends me to a cardiologist for some medical tests.

            I was 18 years old when I knew I have a Congenital Heart Disease, Atrial Septal Defect. This is a common disease in a newborn baby; it doesn’t need an immediate medical procedure but this might be a cause of a serious disease when I grow up. This is a disease where my heart has a hole even before when I was born; lack of oxygen flowing in my heart to the lungs that’s why I have a hard time breathing especially with strenuous activities and extreme emotions. The only cure for me is through a heart surgery yet nowadays Philippine Heart Center offers catherization which costs half a million-peso. Operation might that dangerous and healing process is faster than the usual but the only care is the procedure itself and how much money would spend if I will let them remove the hole in my heart. We don’t have that huge amount of money for the medical procedure. I decided to do it after college and when I have enough money. It may take long but I believe that everything will be okay. I took medicine for a year and wait for a miracle to happen even if the cardiologist always advised me to undergo the procedure as soon as possible.

            Thanks to my faith because I got into this moment. A year after that, my father was diagnosed with carcinoma, a type of cancer. The doctor needs to remove his teeth and gums for the virus not to infect the whole area. This is a different kind of cancer since it’s rare and new to our generation. After months of healing process from the operation, he took chemotherapy and radiotherapy at. St. Francis Cabrini Medical Center in Sto. Tomas, Batangas. It was really a tough challenge for us. We needed so much money, effort, patience and faith! While having his medical procedures, we decided to help it out with so much faith in God. That’s when we started to seek for St. Padre Pio. We tried to visit him during Saturdays for healing masses. And that’s also the reason why I’m so happy when I heard about the coming of the incorrupt heart relic of St. Padre Pio.




            Philippines is one lucky country to host the visit of St. Padre Pio’s heart relic. We are the fourth country but the longest besides the heart relic is one of a kind. This is the first time that a saint’s heart relic is visiting the Philippines! According to Fr. Jojo Gonda (parish priest and rector of National Shrine in Batangas), there are 23 first-class relics of St. Pio. “A first-class relic is one that is part of a saint’s body, or came in contact with the body.” The heart is the whole heart of St. Pio, incorrupt. It was 2008 when his body was discovered incorrupt and the heart was found popping out of the chest. OMG! While writing this entry, I feel very emotional and goosebumps as I saw it with my two eyes. It is very special. The reason why his heart was here is because of the centenary of the stigmata and the golden anniversary of his death.

Image result for incorrupt heart relic of padre pio schedule
*** Photo from Manila Bulletin

THE COMING OF THE HEART RELIC TO THE PHILIPPINES

          It was quite tiring and sleepy when you go to the National Shrine because of the devotees coming in and out of the place. We arrived at Sto. Tomas at around 3:30 am but were stuck in traffic for almost two hours though we’re too lucky because it’s all worth it! While in traffic we saw a quote, “The greater your suffering, the greater God’s love for you.” It is true; we even sacrificed waking up early in the morning, took a long drive going to the shrine but when I saw the relic… I am too emotional! There were lots of people and they were also happy after touching the glass handling the heart relic.

 

 

            I really can’t be happy and teary-eyed with other things but this is really amazing! My heart is so happy! First, I got to kiss the first relic of his blood and now… his heart. I really feel his presence and love for us. My heart is so heavy that moment; I wanted to cry because he’s so amazing! I believe that he healed me, my father and also other people. I can’t really express my feeling but I am really grateful to St. Padre Pio not just I was sick but also, he thought me how to believe in him, to have faith and do not be worry. Thousands of people came into that Sunday morning and vying to see the relic and they also want to attend the mass.







            The masses were taken live at the official facebook page of the National Shrine and at a radio station. At first, I expect nothing but a grateful heart but when I saw the relic; It was extraordinary and very much special. I admit it; I really didn’t know that it could be that special until I came to saw it. It was like a dream come true and one of the special moments in our lives. As Fr. Gonda said, “His heart is pure, full of love for God, Mama Mary, the Church. Maybe that’s why it never decomposed.” He also considers the Philippine visit of St. Padre Pio’s heart relic as once-in-a-lifetime event. For me, this event will not happen again because the heart is very fragile and Italy regards it as a national treasure. We are so very lucky to touch it and to see it in our eyes.






            Right after I went it, I am so full of love and positivity in my heart and in mind that I will be heal soon. This will be one of the unforgettable stories I can share in the future and this is also could be my strength to believe more of God. Have faith and we’ll all be healed soon.

Xoxo,
Vanessa
Follow my social media accounts:

Facebook: facebook.com/vanethaaaa
Facebook page: facebook.com/secretsofdora
Twitter/Instagram/Snap chat: @vanethaaaa

Comments

  1. Wow this place is instagramable too! Keep your faith to the Lord strong 💪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have faith sis.. You will surely be healed in God's perfect time..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, Padre Pio has been part of your life. I'll include this on my list if I'd get a chance to visit Sto. Tomas. Pass on the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents are devotees and we tag along every Sunday when they visit this church (despite my beliefs). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a religious person but the place looks really spiritual

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am not the right market for faith tourism, Philippines have a huge potential in this industry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't able to see His heart relic because it was chaotic to say the least but I love Padre Pio and I believe in His miracles. Thanks Vanessa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was reviewing for the board exams, I found a St. Padre Pio prayer leaflet inserted in a book I borrowed from our college library. It had instructions on how to pray if one had a wish. I followed the instructions with a wish for 100% passing for our batch. Well, my wish was granted so I have kept the leaflet. I would not consider myself a devotee but I do request for St. Padre Pio's intervention from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a Catholic, but it's good to know and understand how the culture is with other faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy with your faith journey. I hope it inspires more. I have been here in St. Padre Pio's shrine and indeed it's a must visited place. It is huge and can accommodate many people.

    ReplyDelete

  11. I will forever be indebted to the great Doctor TAKUTA for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for his mistress for 3 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to him. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lots about false spell casters but I put my doubts behind me for i was desperate to get my husband back and I did according to what he instructed me to do. Now my husband is back just within 48 hours of contacting him. I'm living happily with my husband again after 6 months of divorce and I will not rest till he's known all over the world. He's also specialize in money spells, lottery spells, sickness spells E.T.C. Get connected with Doctor Takuta now, his email is takutaspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp on +27788634102

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Beauty of Bauan

TKB goes to Shercon Resort & Ecology Park

How to heal a Broken Heart